Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
Ministry of Education
Saudi Electronic University
المملكة العربية السعودية
الجامعة السعودية الإلكترونية
College of Administrative and Financial Sciences
Communication Management (MGT 421)
Due Date: 16/7/2022 @ 23:59
Course Name: Student’s Name:
Course Code: MGT421 Student’s ID Number:
Semester: Summer Semester CRN:
For Instructor’s Use only
Students’ Grade: /15 Level of Marks: High/Middle/Low
General Instructions – PLEASE READ THEM CAREFULLY
• The Assignment must be submitted on Blackboard (WORD format only) via allocated folder.
• Assignments submitted through email will not be accepted.
• Students are advised to make their work clear and well presented, marks may be reduced for poor presentation. This includes filling your information on the cover page.
• Students must mention question number clearly in their answer.
• Late submission will NOT be accepted.
• Avoid plagiarism, the work should be in your own words, copying from students or other resources without proper referencing will result in ZERO marks. No exceptions.
• All answered must be typed using Times New Roman (size 12, double-spaced) font. No pictures containing text will be accepted and will be considered plagiarism).
• Submissions without this cover page will NOT be accepted.
1.1 Recognize and memorize concepts of communication theory as they affect business organizations and the individuals in them.
2.1 Perform all communication abilities, including thinking, writing, speaking, listening, and assessing the technology.
Part 1: Critical Thinking
Evaluating Professional Credibility
Amal has been a shift supervisor of a team of nurses for the past three years. The other nurses trust her judgment because she has a track record of successfully treating patients and she is considered an expert in many aspects of nursing. The other nurses also trust her to make good decisions because she stays aware of each nurse’s career goals and she gives them assignments that will help them grow professionally. They also trust her because she always follows through on her promises.
After reading the case, answer the following questions: Total of 5 Marks
1. The other nurses trust her judgment because she has a track record of successfully treating patients and she is considered an expert in many aspects of nursing. What element of credibility is most relevant in this instance? And Why? (1 Mark)
2. The other nurses trust her because she always follows through on her promises. What element of credibility is most relevant in this instance? And why? (1 Mark)
3. The other nurses also trust her to make good decisions because she stays aware of each nurse’s career goals and she gives them assignments that will help them grow professionally. What element of credibility is most relevant in this instance? And why? (1 Mark)
4. If Amal makes several mistakes when treating patients, what element of credibility is most likely to suffer? And why? (1 Mark)
5. If Amal takes sick leave but her colleagues see pictures on Instagram of her in a birthday part, what element of credibility is most likely to suffer? And why? (1 Mark)
Two Phrases That Indicate Your Boss Is Not Listening To You
One of the biggest predictors of whether an employee will be engaged at work is the extent to which they feel like their boss listens to them. But sadly, we’ve all had (or are having) the experience of a boss who doesn’t listen to us. And I’m not talking about really blatant situations (e.g. they literally turn away from us or roll their eyes), but rather those situations in which the boss acts like they’re listening but hears nothing we say.
I recently witnessed just such a case. An executive, let’s call him “Pat,” was holding a town hall meeting to discuss the company’s recent, and disappointing, employee engagement survey results. About 40 employees showed up to the meeting. He kicked things off by saying, “Welcome, everybody. As you know, I’m having this meeting today because I want to hear your concerns directly. I’m here to listen about your issues with your supervisors, so fire away.”
One employee raised his hand first and said, “With the recent cost-cutting, I think we’ve all got concerns about whether we’re going to have jobs next year.” Pat quickly responded, “Oh, I hear you. You think you’ve got problems? At least your wages are ones that other companies will pay. But I’m the VP and I’m over 50, so when you combine my high salary with my age, I’m going to have a really tough time finding a job. But hey, life’s not fair, right?”
Then another employee raised their hand. “I actually have a different concern. My supervisor tells me that I’m supposed to bring her any suggestions for improvement, but when I do, it’s like she doesn’t listen to me.” Pat responded, “I know how that feels, but I don’t want you to worry, because those feelings will pass and you will get over it.”
Source: Forbes Magazine
Think about how well this manager listened in high-pressure situation: Total of 5 Marks
1. Explain how well he did at each of the following active listening skills: paying attention, holding judgment, reflecting, clarifying, and sharing. (2.5 Marks) Suggest some strategies to turn this manager into an excellent listener. (2.5 Marks)
Part 2: Writing Exercise
Hi Sales Team,
I look forward to our meeting next Friday. Please come to the meeting with some out-of-the box ideas that really push the envelope. (2) We want to dramatically increase our market share next year. (3) Please plan your ideas in advance so that you bring your absolutely best ideas to the meeting. At the meeting, we will hold a discussion of our primary objectives and make a plan of marketing strategies. (5) Please remember that your ideas are important, helpful, and will contribute to our marketing plan. (6) So, active participation at the meeting is greatly appreciated. I can affirm that we will deliberate until we reach consensus.
Answer the following questions: Total of 5 Marks
1. Which writing style problem is most apparent in Statements 2, 3, 5, and 6? (2 Marks). Fix the issues associated with these statements. (2 Marks)
2. In your opinion, why is it crucial for business writers to follow particular strategies when writing? (1 Mark)
Why Work with Us
Top Quality and Well-Researched Papers
Professional and Experienced Academic Writers
Free Unlimited Revisions
Prompt Delivery and 100% Money-Back-Guarantee
Original & Confidential
24/7 Customer Support
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
Admission Essays & Business Writing Help